WINC Purpose Statement
What is WINC?
The Weirton Area Port Authority Inc. (WINC) was organized in 2011 by public-spirited citizens of the Upper Ohio River Valley region who felt the need for a non-partisan organization that could serve as a unified “voice” in promoting the region, its interests and resources.
The region has the manpower, natural resources, growth potential and desire to grow economically; but to do so, it is necessary to work together, across city-county-state lines, on issues, projects, opportunities and legislation affecting the entire region. WINC is a West Virginia non-profit corporation preparing to apply for IRS 501(c)4 designation. It is a membership-based organization that serves Brooke and Hancock counties within the Upper Ohio River Valley region.
WINC members come from all walks of life representing business, industry, transportation, financial services, education, chambers of commerce, city/county/state government, trade associations, recreation, agriculture, news media and private citizens.
Financed by its membership and sponsors, WINC is guided by a Board of Directors and working groups that are elected from its public and private sector members that geographically represent the region.
What is the Purpose of WINC?
The Purpose of the Weirton Area Port Authority, Inc. (the “Corporation”) is to develop and operate resilient communications and transportation systems that will facilitate security, safety and promote economic development and sustainable job creation solely for the common good and general welfare of the Weirton Area Port District community. The Corporation will improve access to national and international markets for West Virginia businesses and improve tourism by providing recreational infrastructure on inland waterways.
What Does WINC Do?
- Promotes the development of economic projects that meet urban, industrial, business, recreational, agricultural, educational, technology and transportation needs.
- Works to stimulate growth and employment opportunities, increase productivity, protect the environment, and insure regional excellence for future generations.
- Provides support for specific capital outlay projects within the region, such as security, resiliency, technology, communications and navigation infrastructure to improve commerce (maritime, road, rail, air), and support for infrastructure projects to assist in the movement of goods (road, rail, marine, air).
- Encourages new business and industrial growth, as well as existing business/industry expansion to facilitate job creation and expansion.
- Participates in the Area Maritime Security Council (AMSC) to promote use and improvements of our abundant intermodal waterway system.
- Provides a forum for those who seek an opportunity to participate in improving the region in which they work and live.
- It conveys its members’ views via the following forums:
- Communications with local, state and federal agencies
- Contacts with members of Congress and their staffs
- Testimony before Congressional committees
- Conducts meetings, seminars, training and presentations
- Publishes newsletters and informational materials
To become a member take a moment and fill out WINC's Membership Application.